As I'm building my Google Site for www.chadkafka.com and also working on one for my church at www.underwoodchurch.org, I started to wonder how you get the little icon to appear before the web address. Through my Google searching, I came to find that this little icon is called a "Favicon." Here is how I made the Favicon for my Google Site.
CREATE YOUR ICON AND CONVERT
Create your Favicon. I used Photoshop and made a simple square image. I started with 300 pixels by 300 pixels. When finished, I resized the image to 16px by 16px. The finished image I saved as a .JPG file. I then used the Dynamic Drive website and uploaded my file there and clicked the CREATE ICON button. The file was converted to an .ICO file type and I was allowed to download it back to my computer as the file favicon.ico Once you have the file, you can then follow these steps to put it into your Google Site:
- Login to your Google Site
- Click the MORE ACTIONS button (top right of screen)
- Click MANAGE SITE
- Click on ATTACHMENTS (on left menu)
- If you see a favicon.ico file already there, click the checkbox for that file and then click the DELETE button at the top.
- Click UPLOAD button
- Click CHOOSE FILE button and browse to your customized favicon.ico file and click the UPLOAD ATTACHMENT TO / top level button
- Click RETURN TO SITE and refresh your browser and your Favicon should display!
Special thanks to stefan.apateanu in the Google Sites forum who provided some of the directions above.